Bakers Summit looking North from the South End of Town taken
about 1910. Founded in 1870 Bakers Summit was formerly known as
Bakersville. The name was changed to Bakers Summit in 1876 when a
Post Office was established, because there was already a Post Office
in Pennsylvania with the name of Bakersville. The first Post
Master was Charles W. Zook.
The building on the right was the The D. Z. Pote Store which also
housed the Post Office. Opened in 1876 it was run by
brothers David Z., Jacob Z., and Adam Z. Pote. In 1886 David was bought
out by his brothers Jacob and Adam. Jacob died in 1914 and
Adam ran the store for over 20 years. Adam's
son Julius V. Pote took over the store and ran it till July 1,
1950 when Samuel Kenny Long took over the store and became Post Master.
The Post Office closed in March, 1981 and the Store Closed in
At one time Bakers Summit had a
Cobbler Shop "Shoemaker", Blacksmith, Boarding House,
an Ice cream parlor. There was even a Sulky Racing Track in the late 1800's on the
the North side of the town on the ranch of Doctor James Madara horse
breeder and trainer.
From the collection of David E. Helsel